Feedback Strategies

 The first article I read was Try Feedforward instead of Feedback by Marshall Goldsmith.

In this article, participates are asked to play two roles. In the first, they are asked to provide feedforward and in the second they are asked to accept feedforward. After this exercise, they seemed to enjoy it. When they were asked their opinions here were some of the answers:

  • We can change the future but we can't change the past
  • Feedforward is especially suited to successful people
  • Feedforward can cover almost all of the same "material" as feedback
  • People tend to listen more attentively too == feedforward than feedback
In my opinion, this article shows a great example of feedforward because it conducted an experiment to see how people would give and react to feedforward and the opinions on the experiment were nothing but positive so, in my opinion, I think feedforward is a lot better than feedback.

The second article I read was Why Do Managers Avoid Giving Praise? by Jack Zenger and Joseph Folkman.

I really liked this article because it showed us some statistics about how managers give feedback. The first picture showed us how effective managers are seen giving praise and most results came as positive feedback. The second picture shows us how managers see themselves as effective when they give criticism and most results came out as negative and positive feedback.

The article also tells us how managers feel giving feedback and some said:
  • I did not sleep the night before
  • They don't pay me enough to do this job
  • My hands were sweating and I was nervous
  • I just wanted to get it over quickly


Comments

Popular Posts