Game Idea Research

Decision 

If you read my blog last week you would know that I came up with four possible game ideas to make for a project this year. After receiving some feedback on that blog and doing some research I have decided to go for the Temple Run idea where the character in the game runs to collect coins but there are obstacles in their way and they have to avoid the obstacles and collect all the coins to win.

Research 

So before I made my decision I did some research on my four topics and see if I could make them in Unity. Two of my topics were shooting and a football game. For both of the games, it sounded like a lot of fun to make but now after doing more tutorials, having a certain time frame, and finding c# script quite difficult I can say that making either one of those two games would be really really difficult.

Now when it comes to the other two ideas which were the driving around the course collecting coins or running around an obstacle course collecting coins they sounded a lot easier and more doable as my time frame is limited and I am new to Unity so I would need to keep it simple.

When thinking about which game to actually pursue and make for this semester I chose the Temple Run idea because to me it sounded more interesting and entertaining and also I feel like it would be the most fun to make a game based on that idea instead of the other three ideas that I had.

What Obstacles am I going to use?

Well, when you look at the type of games I am making each one has different obstacles blocking the player's path but those obstacles depend on the theme of the game. For example, the game Subway Surfers has trains and barriers on the train tracks the player runs on and they try to distract the player for them to lose. For the Temple Run game, it is the exact same since the game is set in a jungle, there are trees high and low (for the player to jump and duck) in the player's way to try make them lose. Since it will be difficult for me to gain obstacles like the ones in those games I will make my own using 3D shapes. I feel like I will be making cubes and 3D rectangles all at different heights so depending on the height the player can decide whether to jump or duck to avoid that obstacle.

Coins

So you now know my idea for the game I will be making but you might be saying well what's in it for the player and are there any rewards? Well yes, there are coins all around the obstacle for the player to collect. I did some research and to get a coin asset on Unity you will need to spend money so I am going to make my own coin using a cylinder I place into the game but size it down in the shape of a coin. I will also put a scoreboard on the top left of the screen and that will keep count of how many coins you have collected so far. Click here to watch the video I found on coin pickups.

How to Complete the Level?

So now we have all the obstacles and coins in the game how do we complete it. Well, it is pretty simple the player will have to collect all the coins and reach the finish line to win. Click here to watch the tutorial on how to create a Level Completed screen.



Comments

  1. Hi Justin, your game idea sounds really good and its clear you have done your research, I like the idea of adding coins and a scoreboard to keep track of them as it makes the player want to continue playing the game to collect more coins and see how far they can make it. I was wondering as you said there will be an end point to the game and that’s when the player completes the game, will the player know when they are near the end point or will they just find out when they get there? Also something you may want to consider, you said that temple run and subway surfers use there theme to determine the obstacles and of course it will be difficult for you to create detailed obstacles as you said just creating shapes could be a good idea so what if you make the theme of your game basic shapes for example make the runner a basic shape like a triangle and have just basic shapes everywhere and try turn it into a theme this would be different and could make life easy for you. Just an idea though:) . Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin, really enjoyed this blog post! I like the idea of your game, I loved temple run when I was younger so it's really cool, you're basing your game off of it. It's clear you put a lot of thought and effort into this game! I like the idea of having a score board, it'll definitely make it better! Best of luck with the game :) -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Justin, great blog post. I really like the layout of your blog by the way. Also really liking your game idea. I loved the game temple run so I am excited to see how your game turns out. It is obvious you have done a lot of research. One question I have is will the player know they are close to the end of the level? Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts